Updated on November 16, 2015
Industrial Branch Christmas Tree
Hi and welcome back!
I’m so excited about Christmas decorating this year. It’s our first year being in the new house and I’m stoked. Since this is also my first year blogging, I realized I needed to have my stuff up a few weeks earlier than usual, so people reading can hopefully get inspired and plan. And to tell you the truth, I’ll looking forward to being able to enjoy the holidays a little longer and being done by Thanksgiving!
I saw this tree years ago, but never had a good space to put it in. I have no idea who this image belongs to or how they hung it, so if you know, please let me know so I can give proper credit.
This year I decided to attempt it and turn this entire wall into a “Winter Wonderland” type wall. I started by making and hanging the snowflakes. I shared how I did that project over on Sawdust 2 Stitches and you can see the tutorial HERE.
Then I started on the tree. It just so happened that we had a bunch of limbs in a pile in the side yard, which I rummaged through until I found a bunch I thought might work. Then I narrowed it down by finding six or seven with a diameters that were close. I did have to ask my neighbor if I could cut one dead limb off her tree, but she didn’t mind and that was my first experience with a hack saw :).
Then I cut them all into a tree pattern, making each one a little shorter than the last. That was super easy. I didn’t measure or anything, because I wanted it to look a little rustic.
I had some leftover twine and decided to give it a try. I wrapped it around and knotted it up. I drilled one small, high hole in the brick and attached a hook. I didn’t want to drill anymore into the brick, so I was bound and determined to make it work with just the one hook.
Once it was hung, I wrapped these light strands around each limb. I LOVE these little strands. I turn them on once at 6pm and they stay on for six hours, then turn off for 18 and I don’t have to touch them again for the rest of the season. They use LED lights, which are super bright but don’t use much energy at all.
Then I worked my way up, using the fishing wire to continue to level out the branches. I only had to go a few braches up because the weight of the lower branches pulled the top branches level.
Then the kids attached ornaments. They are also super excited about decorating. We had a blast putting the ornaments up. I had to help some, and used my fishing line to wrap the ornaments around the branches that were thicker.
Then we all went to bed, and at 4am CRASH! The twine broke, the whole thing fell, waking the whole house. Fun, and my hubs was super happy about that. Anyway, the twine wasn’t going to work apparently. So, still determined to get this thing up, I went to the hardware store and looked around until I found this.
It was easy to use and you use little stoppers under the branches to hold them in place. This kit had one stopper fewer than I needed, but they sold the little stoppers seperately, so it wasn’t a problem. This feels SO MUCH more secure. There is no way this thing is breaking. So, once I got the branches back up, I re-did all the fishing wire and ornaments and secured all the battery packs with more fishing wire and then I was really done.
I tried to cut the extra braided steel (haha), but since that went poorly I ended up using more fishing wire to tie it to the underside of the bottom branch.
So, expect for the small little mishap, it was a pretty easy little project, and since I used branches from my yard, everything – the lights, ornaments and steel wire cost me about $40-$50, which wasn’t bad for such a huge impact. You could also use cheaper lights if you had a way to plug them in. And you could do this whole project much smaller and cheaper with smaller branches and less lights and ornaments. Maybe the twine would work then :).
And it’s so cool on a quiet, dark night…
I love the way it reflects off the ceiling and floors!